Sunday, August 20, 2006

iLife

iRecently began my iLife. On a Thursday evening, iThought that iWould prepare for/celebrate my new means of earning a living. iWent to the Apple Store, and purchased a shiny new 60GB iPod (black). iGot home, and like a school-child at Christmas, iGleefully unwrapped my newest toy. As many of you may know, the first thing you need to do is install iTunes if you do not already have it, and there is a CD that comes in the box that iBelieved would allow me to do so. iPut the CD in my drive, and it began to install something that was not iTunes at all! What it was, was the software updater that would allow me to update my iPod to the newest version of software, which as it turns out, is the same as the factory default for this batch (also, iAm pretty sure that what apple calls "software" is really "firmware", but iAm not positive). After installing this semi-useless peripheral, iGot an error box telling me that iTunes could not install on a 64-bit OS. WONDERFUL! iDid some research, and as far as iCan tell, the only upgrade made for the newest version of iTunes (1.0.6) from v1.0.5 is that in v1.0.5, under a 64-bit OS, the CD burning does not work properly without some fiddling around with drivers (which I have not tried yet, iMay update that soon), and in v1.0.6, it shits the bed, and doesn't install. iFind this to make a LOT of sense. After getting iTunes installed, it was time for iBed. iWould begin my iLife in the morning. The next morning, after my sepcial lady-friend had left for work, iBegan the horrible process of updating all the tags on my Mp3s. This necessary evil allows you to use your iPod in a more convenient fashion, and iReally should have done it a long time ago, so no complaints here. After waiting quite a while for my iPod to update, iWas ready to listen to an mp3 through those nifty white headphones instead of through my computer speakers, and then the neatest thing happened! It FROZE COMPLETELY! iSpent the next full day looking up ways to do things that apple would not want to tell you about, like resetting the iPod (which iAm sick of typing, so iWill now refer to it as darth vader), DOWNGRADING the software (which takes a special, non-sanctioned program), restoring, re-syncing, and basically, desperately trying to make it work for more than a song or two. Finally, it was time to go out to dinner where we had two $40 bottles of wine that also had a screw cap instead of a cork. I am just glad I didn't have to pay for them. The next morning, iAgain tried to fix it, but before iCould get it working, it was time to go to the MLS game. That was fun, but it did not fix darth vader. Today, iTried once more, but no dice. iWent back to the mall, visions of getting into an iArgument at the Apple Store dancing in my head, but for the cost of the stupid thing, iWas prepared to iPunchSomebodyInTheThroat to get a working one. Turns out that the staff was very helpful, and after seeing darth vader in action, they went all emperor on him, and issued me a new apprentice. Or something. Anyway, the new one seems to work, which is neat, and iAm happy. Also, turns out not all my mp3 tags are fixed yet. iSigh.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

iseem to remember stories very similar to yours from other iPod users.

Mike Henninger said...

I think that was one of the most annoying posts I have ever read. iFuckingHateYou :). Did your other MP3 play bust? or did you just get this in celebration of your new job?

You are also taking your fiscal life into your hands. You never know when Apple will start suing people.

Er... I'm glad that it all worked out in the end.

Kamikaze Pigeon said...

Oh... and the reason for the nice wine having a screw cap, and not a typical cork, is because cork is becoming obsolete. Typically, nowadays, the only reason vineyards are still using real cork is for consumer reasons (or at least that is what they told me during a tour at Newport Vineyards). Synthetic cork was the first wave solution to tainted wine and now it’s screw caps. Weird, I know, but now screw caps are no longer a sign of cheap yucky wine.

--ThatGuy said...

I enjoyed this post